Monday, March 05, 2012

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

While I was in Barcelona, visiting my wife, who is working over there, Microsoft was in another part of town unveiling the Consumer Preview edition (*cough* BETA *cough*) of Windows 8.

If you want to download it and give it a try, you just have to go here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-preview

and download the setup file. They ask for your e-mail address, but you can skip that.
The idea of the consumer preview (what they used to call a beta) is to get feedback from real customers, so you don't need to give them any money or be part of an in-crowd to get it. The CP, like all previous betas is time limited. There will come a day when it will simply not boot anymore, so only install it on a test machine.


It is a very cool looking product aimed at being an iPad killer, by bringing the whole world of windows software to a new generation of Windows 8 based iPad-like tablets.


I have to admit, I have not yet had a chance to play with it, but I do have it downloaded and will be installing it to test on my netbook in the next few days. I am guessing though that Win8 will need something more than that to function properly though. It barely handles 7.

No comments: