Friday, November 16, 2012

Watch What Permissions You Give

Watch what permissions you grant to apps on social sites and on your cell phone.

I logged into Facebook today and there was a message " wants to include you as a travel connection in Tripadvisor."

I clicked it and saw this (faces obscured for privacy reasons):


I don't know why Tripadvisor needs to have access to all that in order to make travel suggestions, but I'd never grant it. On the other hand, my work issued blackberry has been prompting me lately saying that the Phone app would like to access phone information. ...well, Duh! of course the phone part of my cellphone needs access to phone information. Funny thing though, I denied it and was still able to use the phone... so I'm not sure what phone info it needs, but It seemed to be doing ok without it.

No comments: